I had always known Tai
Chi as a type of Chinese martial art practised for defending oneself. I never
knew Tai Chi could be used as a stress buster. When I heard about the Tai Chi
session being conducted in class, I got pretty excited as I always wanted to
learn martial arts but, learning Tai Chi for subsiding stress came to me as a
surprise.
Throughout the session,
I concentrated on properly imitating the instructor and following the
instructions. The exercises mainly focused on breath control with proper hand
movements. The part where one imagines an energy ball, inhales and exhales in
tandem with the hand movements was the best part of the session.
At the end, when I was
asked to keep my eyes closed, I could feel my mind, all blank, without any
thoughts. I felt a strange sense of self and calmness surrounding me made it
all more beautiful.
I am a theist and whenever
I pray (chanting prayers) to the almighty I am never able to focus continuously
without forcing myself. But after the session, my mind was concentrating on
whatever I wanted it to, never delving anywhere else. I tried saying my prayers
and to my utter surprise, I was able to concentrate on the prayers till the
end. This was different from the usual, making me realise that my mind really was
in a more focused state.
It was the last lecture
of the day, in which Tai Chi session was conducted. So, after the lecture, I
straightaway went to the library to fully utilise the newly found state of my
mind and there also I was pretty amazed at the way I was able to focus on the
text of the textbook which has not happened in quite some time without
strenuous efforts.
The effect started
subsiding after a couple of hours had passed as mails from the faculty
regarding assignments and whatsapp messages from peers regarding the completion
of those assignments poured in. It was completely lost when I came to know that
my umbrella was again missing. Though the effect of Tai Chi was not long lasting,
but it was a transcendental experience. I just hope, I continue doing it
despite my busy schedule.
No comments:
Post a Comment